Thursday, October 3, 2013

Columbus Day- What's Up With That?

Hey, Y'all,

Now you know I'm not one for controversy, but, I just gotta ask. Why is there a Columbus Day? I mean, I like holidays as much as the next person. I've even been known to celebrate such lofty days as National Cheesecake Day (celebrated on July 30th for those who may have missed it this year). But this is a holiday I just don't get.

Technically, the man didn't discover anything. How can you discover a place if people already live there? If that's the case, I can go "discover" Raleigh right now. Will I get a holiday then?

If we want to celebrate his intrepid spirit and his thirst for knowledge about the world around him, why not call it "Exploration Day," and encourage people to go out and explore their world?

It's just my two cents, but I don't believe Columbus Day is all that necessary. It's probably not going anywhere, though, so let's all celebrate in the appropriate manner.



Until Next Time,

Kianna

No comments:

Post a Comment